For many of us, our home is one of our largest investments. To keep it in the best shape possible, it’s so important to take the time to maintain it. Your roofing, siding, and gutters undergo substantial wear and tear from severe weather including hail, wind, water damage, snow and ice, sun exposure and moisture buildup. Routine maintenance can help you avoid major issues and protect your home’s value.
It’s estimated that every dollar of deferred maintenance results in $4 in future repairs. Pinpointing and repairing damaged areas before they can escalate into major problems will save you from costly repairs down the road.
Conducting routine maintenance will ensure longevity and structural integrity, not to mention, a sound structure protects you from the elements. Take a moment and think about the condition of the exterior of your home, what comes to mind? Are there cracks in your siding? Do you have damaged shingles? Are you unsure? If you can’t remember the last time you scheduled an inspection for your roofing, siding, and gutters, now is the time to do so. Keeping up with scheduled maintenance tasks will help you avoid future headaches and hassle down the road.
The roof is often the most vulnerable part of your property as it’s your first line of defense against the elements. Constantly being exposed to extreme weather conditions can cause serious problems that decrease its performance, quality and efficiency. Having routine roof inspections performed by a licensed contractor will save you tens of thousands of dollars down the road.
Our Home Repair Inspectors examine your roof for loose or missing shingles, damage, cracks, dents, protrusions, and wear and tear. We remove any debris that could accumulate or collect water, leading to water damage. If you’re unsure of your roof’s condition, get a property inspection from a licensed, certified general contractor. Our expert, Haag accredited team is trained to safely inspect roofing systems, flashing and joints for potential weak spots and damage.
According to Home Advisor’s True Cost Guide, the average cost to repair an existing roof is $949 and $8,348 to install a new roof. This cost will vary based on the size of your roof and the material used.
Siding doesn’t just enhance curb appeal, it also provides important protection against rain, snow, harsh winds and pests. Damaged siding can lead to increased energy costs and cause interior moisture that leads to water intrusion, leaks and mold growth. Check for damage, holes or cracks. Even small holes and cracks can cause serious interior damage if left unchecked.
According to Home Advisor’s True Cost Guide, the average property owner pays $772 to repair existing siding. The average cost to install new siding is $10,601. This price varies depending on the size of your property and the materials used. Cleaning and maintaining your siding on a regular basis will help extend its life and the protection it provides for your home.
It’s a simple task, yet often neglected. Regularly cleaning out your gutters is an important part of your routine home maintenance routine. If your gutters are not functioning properly, the debris build-up will cause extensive damage to your home. Clogged gutters can lead to leaks, ice dams, damage and even foundation problems. Maintain your gutters by making sure that they are free from leaves, twigs and debris to ensure that water is draining properly and away from your home.
It’s important to have your gutters inspected and cleared at least twice a year to prevent any blockages due to debris. Keep your gutters in excellent condition at all times to extend the life of your roof and siding.
Cost Estimates – Repair vs. Replacement
Check out this calculator from Home Advisor calculator to get a rough estimate on costs for repair vs. replacement for your next project!
Home Maintenance Checklist: Top 10
- Roof Inspection: The National Roofing Contractors Association recommends getting a roof inspection at least twice a year: once after the coldest weather (January), and once after the hottest weather(July/Aug). It is also recommended to get an inspection after any major storm or weather event.
- Siding Inspection: This should be done at least annually along with your roofing inspection by a licensed, general contractor.
- Gutter Cleaning: Whether you hire a professional or take on the task yourself, your gutters should be cleaned at least twice a year, ideally in early spring and early fall.
- Air Vents: Check that indoor and outdoor air vents are clear and not blocked. Vacuum heat registers and heat vents.
- HVAC: Routinely change out your HVAC/furnace filter to remove any build-up of dust and pollen and ensure your home’s temperature regulation system is working efficiently.
- Water Softener & Heater: Check the water softener and replenish salt if necessary. Flush out hot water from the water heater to remove accumulated sediment.
- Clean Drains & Faucet Heads: Inspect sink and tub drains for debris; unclog if necessary. Clean your faucet heads to remove mineral deposits.
- Equipment Safety: Test smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors.
- Electrical: Inspect electrical cords for wear and tear.
- Garbage Disposal: Clean out your garbage disposal by grinding ice cubes, then flushing with hot water and baking soda.
Damaged, Destroyed, Or Just Tired...We’ll Get It Back to Beautiful!
At Home Repair, you deserve the best! As a licensed general contractor with over 30 years of experience, our expert team provides a range of services including property and roofing inspections, reroofs, roof repairs, new roof installations, storm damage restoration, siding, gutters, windows and more! It’s important to get routine inspections to ensure your property is structurally sound and ready for any season. Routine repairs and maintenance will help lengthen the lifespan of your home and protect you from the elements. Whether you’re in need of a new roof or siding due to old age, routine wear and tear, or severe storm damage, we restore your property to the beautiful home it once was. Contact us for a free inspection!